Requires large amounts of time spent on the production of garments for the catwalk & clients. You must be extremely creative and fashion conscious, but also able to translate trends into commercial product.
- Creating/visualising an idea and producing a design by hand or using computer-aided design (CAD).
- Keeping up to date with emerging fashion trends as well as general trends relating to fabrics, colours and shapes.
- Working with others in the design team, liaising closely with sales, buying and production teams on an ongoing basis to ensure the item suits the customer and price points.
- sourcing, selecting and buying fabrics, trims, fastenings and embellishments.
- Developing a pattern that is cut and sewn into sample garments and supervising the creation of these, including fitting, detailing and adaptations.
A degree in the following subjects will increase your chances: fashion; textiles; graphic design; clothing technology; fashion marketing and buying.